After viewing our Adoptable Pets – Please contact Advocates 4 Animals or complete the online Cat Adoption Form or Dog Adoption Form to begin the adoption process.
- Please complete the online application form or contact us to inquire about adopting a specific pet
- When the application is approved, an Advocates 4 Animals member will contact you and schedule a “meet & greet” with the adoptable pet. The “meet & greet” may be held in your home if you are located in Greene, Montgomery or Warren County, OH or the foster home may prefer that you come to their home to meet the adoptable pet. If you are located outside of this area, arrangements will be made according to the number/location of volunteers we have at that time.
- At the time of the meet & greet (potential home visit) both the Advocates 4 Animals adoption coordinator and the adoptive family will assess if the pet(s) is a good match for the family/individual adopting the pet. If both parties feel the pet is a good fit, the adoption contract and donation will be collected at that time and the adoption process is complete.
- Advocates 4 Animals does not adopt to individuals under age 25 under any circumstance.
- The adopter agrees only cats 6 months or older may be front-paw declawed (please note as age/weight increases, so does the risk of complications with this elective surgery). No cats or kittens are to be four-paw declawed. The adopter must use Laser Declaw method for front-paw declawed. Cats and kittens must not be declawed during the first 90 days following adoption due to possible overexposure to anesthesia. For more information on Cat Declaw, please click here.
- All individuals living in the home must agree to adopt the pet into their home.
- If Advocates 4 Animals determines that the pet is not a good fit for the potential adopter, this will be discussed at the time of the home visit.
- Every pet is different. Some pets have highly specialized needs (ie: type of environment, other pets, etc.) while others adjust easily to various environments. Felines typically take 2-6 weeks to begin adjusting to their new home. All pets have been housed in foster homes while they wait to find a home to call their very own. All adoptable rescue pets are up to date on shots, treated for the prevention of ear mites, fleas and worms and have been spayed/neutered.
- Advocates 4 Animals requires a minimum adoption donation of $75.00 for cats and kittens ($150 – $250 for dog adoptions). The adoption donation assists us in rescuing and rehabilitating additional homeless pets. Our organization is run solely on donations and with volunteers. Without your support we could not continue our efforts!
Please note that adopting a pet is a commitment for the duration of the pets life (cats live an average of 14-20 years). Please be sure you and each of your family members are fully committed to the feline adoption. Like people, pets are not perfect – they require love, devotion, commitment, and above all patience. There may be times when issues may arise such as clawing on furniture, urinating outside of the litterbox (this occurs usually when there is a health problem such as a urinary infection), allergies, new additions to the family, moving to a new location or another issue that may be frustrating as a pet owner.
Also, please note: If you have small children in the household, it is important to educate your children on how to properly treat and be kind to your new cat. Too many times, we have had families with small children adopt a cat, only to return it within a short time- because the cat nibbled on their fingers or the children played too rough with the cat. PLEASE CAREFULLY CONSIDER all aspects of pet ownership and how this change will impact and effect ALL current members in your household prior to moving forward with adoption. Cats are animals- and animals will nibble, claw, play, jump on furniture, meow and be full of energy at times. In adopting a pet, we accept the good with the bad and commit to working with the feline through the bad. Adjusting to multiple new environments is difficult and stressful on the feline, therefore we make every attempt to find a forever home for our adoptable pets. Please be certain that you have considered all aspects of owning and caring for a rescue pet for the duration of their life – through both good and bad.
Please contact Advocates 4 Animals and introduce yourself OR complete the online cat or dog adoption application. Please be sure to let us know which pet you are interested in potentially adopting. We will respond within 48 hours of your request. Thank you for adopting a rescue pet!
Featured Success Story:
Sweet little Pearl was being kept in a tiny cramped bird cage at a high-kill shelter- with several other adult cats. With no room to stand and laying on the hard metal wires that lined the bottom of the cage- Pearl continued to purr and wish for help to come. Help came when A4A stepped up and rescued every cat inside of the cramped cage- pulling them all to safety with just moments to spare. All cats from this rescue, including Pearl- have since been adopted into individual loving homes to call their very own. (Photo: Volunteer Denise holds Pearl when they first arrive to her A4A foster home- the very day Pearl was pulled from the shelter by A4A).